Photoshop mishaps are, believe it or not, more common than one would care to think or believe. You would think that with Photoshop, each and every treated and tricked-up image would be perfectly enhanced and perfectly presented and perfectly treated; but the thing is, the person using Photoshop is just as human as you and I and is prone to overlook or miss out really important steps and details that need to be attended to. The tools, instructions, and systems provided in Photoshop are well developed, but even Photoshop artists make mistakes, once in a while. A lot of them may not have been aware of it at the time, but a miscalculation of the angling of a certain detail in the picture, or the accidental placing in of an object that has absolutely no business being in the picture greatly affects the whole outcome of the picture. It is disastrous. But on the other side of the coin, it is also often very hilarious.
The following are just some examples of Photoshop mishaps that have caught the attention of people and Photoshop professionals in a not so conventionally inspiring way:
- The cat’s tongue that was not in proportion to his mouth, almost resembling a tiny leaf that got stuck on the cat’s mouth.
- The gun that was not actually being held by the gunman’s hand. The hand actually acted more like a backdrop to the gun.
- The unusual enlargement of a certain body part that doesn’t make it look proportioned with the rest of the body just makes for really awkward images.
- The missing limb. I’m sure it’s just there somewhere; perhaps the subject hid it really well behind his/her back or something.
- Another awkward moment is where limbs appear in certain places where they really shouldn’t be.
- While we’re on the subject on limbs, there are also those terrible surgical advertisements where an extra finger or two seems to be weirdly popping out from the other side of the hand.
- Movie and/or TV posters gone bad. Whether it’s the uncomfortable positioning together of the characters, or the not so well-handling of props, it is sure to raise a lot of “Huh?”
- Unfortunately, even politicians are not far from abusing Photoshop treatments to make them appear where they really weren’t or to make them look like something that is far from what they really are.
- On an even sadder note, even natural disasters are used as something to place people in when they really were never in the middle of such horrific happenings.
- Wrong way traffic. Why are there some cars going counter-flow on an exclusively one-way lane? Pretty hard to spot, though, when there are a lot of other cars in the lane.
- One rather not-so-appropriate mishap is where a woman’s cleavage is showing way, way, way too much.
- The twin effect is where you see two people with exactly the same features, expressions, and clothes in the same picture.
- The half-body effect. If you want to create the illusion of a subject coming out from somewhere, remember that the rest of the body must still emerge from the inside of whatever opening you want the subject to come out of.
Disastrous, uncomfortable, and hilarious as they are, Photoshop mishaps need not be all that negative and unattractive. Sometimes an occasional slip in detail contributes to the realism of the expression or outcome of the picture. In other cases, they are a great source of entertainment and fun at the expense of the Photoshop artist who made the blunder. Fortunately, with much grace and with great sense of humor, the Photoshop artist can simply learn from his/her mistake and not do the same thing on his/her next projects. But do be aware that a lot of these mishaps are also deliberate in the sense that the users thought they could deceive people into perceiving the image as something that it really isn’t, hence, making them believe in something that isn’t really true at all. Many public figures and businesses have been affected really badly because they thought they could deceive and cover up undesired details.
Photoshop mishaps can be greatly reduced and avoided with much practice and experience; after all, you would always want to produce the best out of each and every image you treat with Photoshop. The best images that make the best impact and influence in the most positive way are those that are honestly made and excellently treated.