One really neat trick a Photoshop artist can do with images is by replicating the appearance and feel of needlework art so he/she can achieve a true Photoshop needlework masterpiece. The Photoshop artist may or may not have firsthand knowledge about how to exactly do needlework with his/her own bare hands; because believe me, needlework may be stereotypically reserved for our grandmothers, but it is a beautiful form of artwork and requires skill, dexterity, imagination, and an excellent grasp of patterns, sizes, and proportions. Capturing this art form in all its different varieties through Photoshop needlework in the best way possible will require the Photoshop artist to be knowledgeable about particular details and techniques used in needlework that produce certain beautiful patterns and figures.
The art of needlework involves the use of needles and thread and yarn, or other such materials that can be used for threading and stitching. It appears in various forms that are distinctive for making use of certain materials, approaches, and techniques:
- Cross-stitch. The art of forming a series cross stitches of different colored threads upon a special cloth to form a picture.
- Knitting. The turning of thread and/or yarn into clothing through the process of pulling layers of loops into each other with the use of two knitting needles.
- Embroidery. This is the art sewing thread and/or yarn on other clothing materials in intricate and ornamental styles and patterns.
- Sewing. The attaching of pieces of cloths and fabric together through needles and thread in certain directions and stitch patterns to form a dress or clothing of some sort.
- Needle lace. The stitching up together of hundreds of other stitches in certain patterns to form the lace itself.
- Quilting. Two or more sewn materials are joined together to form a thicker padding of cloth.
- Applique. A smaller ornament or object (sequins or lace), is sewn to the surface of a layer of cloth, very useful for creating pictures and even for creatively covering up holes.
- Crochet. The use of a crochet hook to create a fabric of yarn, thread, and other such materials through pulling loops into other loops.
- Tatting. The constructing of durable lace through the formation of knots, loops, rings, and chains stemming from a core thread, used often in lacing collars and doilies.
- Lucet. A device that is used in making braids and cords formed by a series of loops.
- Braiding. The art of intertwining three or more strands of thread, yarn, hair, and other soft materials together to form a complex yet firm and structured pattern; one often sees this in cables and ropes.
- Tassel making. Tassels are ornaments that are made up of dozens of loose threads grouped together that hang down curtains, throw pillows, and other such decorative clothing.
- Tapestry. The complex and intricate art of weaving and/or looming a series of thread together to form murals and pictures.
In tricking up your images with Photoshop needlework, you can bring a sense of homeliness, realism, and nostalgia to the presentation of the pictures. The effects that you could achieve are:
- Stitching together groups of pictures to create a stitched up collage.
- Giving your picture a tapestry-like effect, with bits and pieces of threads running through the image.
- The formation of lacy needlework patterns that show off the intricate details of loops and knots overlapping to create a background or foreground effect.
- Exploring the geometrical angles and patterns of stitches, knots, loops, and braids interloping upon and within each other, creating the most interesting of threaded networks.
- Replicating the effect of a woven piece of material with its unique, symmetrical patterns.
- Doing a close up on the ornamental tassel, outlining the many strands of threads that hang down a piece of decorative clothing.
- Tricking up an image to look like a cross-stitch pattern, complete with the detailed crossed threads set together to form the image.
- Detailing the artwork of sequins and lace on a dress.
- Showing off the intricate details of a braided rope, hair, thread, or any piece of clothing.
Making use of Photoshop needlework is one very creative way of adding spice and warmth to the tone of your pictures. Old people, particularly, may find this type of image treatment very appealing. What is probably funny about the whole thing is that the Photoshop artist won’t necessarily be skilled in doing needlework, but at least he/she will let Photoshop do the work for him/her.